Sunday, February 1, 2009

Capturing "Blah"

So the new word for my writing class assignment is "Blah." It can be on anything and everything we think of to express the word. For some reason, loneliness was the first thing that came to mind. Weird right? Of all the topics. So I decided to jot down a few sentences on paper to see where it takes me. And, naturally, the loneliest part of my life started taking shape. I know a lot of people have heard it time and time again, but I've been trying to write it in a way I've never expressed it before. What loneliness does to a person. Somehow, don't ask me why, Peter Pan got involved. Hahaha you'll see when you read it in a week after class Tuesday. It starts off "I didn't get my first kiss until ninth grade." And it goes on about first loves and ultimately what the loss of that love does to a person. Could be good or really bad. Time will tell.

I've been having a lot of thoughts this week about school in general. After talking with some fellow Photography students, I've decided to give it til the Fall, after I've been here a full year, and start to weigh my options. See if I feel like the Lord needs me to stay the final year. And don't get me wrong, I love it here. I truly do. It's a terrific program. Only thing is...am I here to learn something from the school, or does the Lord want me to learn something outside of the walls? It's been a thought on my mind for a few days now.

I came across something interesting in my reading. "Only a life lived for others is worth living." And it struck a chord because helping others is the main area of my dream with my magazine. Oh gosh it's like if I had the opportunity to start it now I totally would. I miss Nashville more and more too. No matter all that happened out there for me it was a terrific place to live. I miss my friends and family out there. I was telling my mom if an opportunity came up for employment out there, I wouldn't give it a second thought and would begin packing. But, on the other hand, if I don't stay and pursue my dream and NYC, I know I'll always wonder "what if?" later on. So thoughts are, as always, heavy on my mind.

One day last week my iPhone rang (I specify "iPhone" because it always makes my Dad jealous haha) and it was my niece Carson on the phone. Always a nice surprise. She said "Buddy guess what? Jadd (my nephew) just said your name." How tender is that? Apparently he actually just made a noise that sounded like my name, and Carson said "He just said Evan." So her mom asked if she wanted to tell me and she said "Yeah!" Oh I miss her so much. Jadd too of course. And my nephew Gavin back in VA.

This is probably me jumping the shark in a huge way, but I think there is a tiny chance I might get asked to do some photography work overseas. This is the reason I think this...Abraham was our guide on the college trips to Greece and Turkey/Cyprus. I got a Facebook message from a friend over there saying that he wanted to get in contact with me regarding photography, etc. So naturally my passion for capturing the world rushed to my mind, and I started hoping that was it. I haven't heard from him yet. Haha it's probably some random question like "My camera won't focus. Any idea why?" Oh but how awesome it would be to travel the world and show the world what I see. Gosh! AHHH!! Hahaha. Anyway....

A friend contacted me to donate some of my prints to an art auction to raise money for Boys & Girls Club of America. I said definitely. I even thought it might be a good idea to maybe have a free Photography session auctioned off and see if anyone bids on it. Might be a good way to get my name out there and offer my talents for a good cause at the same time. We'll see what develops out of that. I'm not sure the full story. Was just asked tonight. Keep you guys posted.

I must get to bed now. Today will be a fun day, hopefully, Super Bowl party at church tonight with the Fusion gang. The Varsity is catering. Yum. Keep me in prayer as I'm getting more involved with this church group. I'll post an update sometime this week. Hope everyone has a good one. Keep my sister Rachel in prayer as she is now boarding the ship in the Philippines. God Bless!

More to come...

No comments: