Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Blah Story

Hey guys. I thought I would post my final copy of my story for writing class. We had to write about the word "Blah." I wrote about loneliness. Enjoy.

"Pixie Dust"

Suicide brings a list of pros and cons. I only considered it once. I hadn’t changed clothes in three days. I was using a steak knife to cut a microwave pizza into four pieces and I wondered how easily the knife would pierce my skin. Am I as penetrable as melted cheese? Instead of experimenting with variables, I dropped the knife, threw away the pizza and burrowed myself in the couch.
When people are lonely a vast percentage of us would settle for being anywhere else. I always thought of Neverland. Imagining Tinker Bell fluttering into my apartment, casting a soft light in my face. I squinted, feeling a pinch of warmth being emitted from her fragile wings. My fragile wings sure didn’t bring warmth. She sprinkled me with pixie dust. It felt like a beach breeze casting tiny grains of sand on my body. Nothing happened. Peter Pan was nowhere in sight. Is he lost? It’s the third apartment building to the left and straight on ‘til sorrow. Tinker Bell’s glow dimmed. I think even she was worried and confused. She eventually let herself out.
Peter Pan is selfish. A brutal truth I learned. As sure as God made green apples. It was fall and the leaves had changed to colors of sunsets. I had the love of a woman that disappeared too suddenly. I was alone.
Since when does Peter Pan get to play Neverland god? Did I do something wrong? Was I supposed to have a teddy bear like Michael did? Nothing happened, and the magic pixie dust barely made my wings flinch. Peter Pan never came. There is no anecdote for loneliness. My personal Captain Hook would be battled with time.
Through the time, I felt like an Olympian clearing hurdles in my path. Sometimes the hurdles fell and other hurdles were cleared with ease. There were days when I dreamed of her. I’d awaken to the thought of seeing her in my room, but it was shadow games. It was the closest I came to become Pan. I was chasing a shadow. Every time my phone would ring I’d think it’s a second chance calling, but it was a wrong number.
The loneliest part of my life was one giant sword fight. Hook can really brawl. I returned each volley with sharp, double-edged technique while the crocodile waited to consume my nemesis. I became a witness that time, and a little faith, will defeat him. That only you can carry you to Neverland. The magical pixie dust will finally bring flight.

So there you have it. Haha. Not too bad. I had a good time coming up with Peter Pan references.

I met with the Photography head professor today just to show some of my work this quarter so far, which isn't much. It was a nice talk. I was able to express some concerns I had about the school and how I personally feel really behind and not as good as other students. He just explained that it is a natural feeling and probably a good feeling to have because it'll either push you to produce better images and ideas or it'll push you further away from your craft. I don't believe in failure in anything, so I know it'll only push me to be better. It's just difficult this quarter since I'm not used to these assignments, etc. But I know I'll get it eventually. That's why I'm in school, right? :)

Next Wednesday I have my quarterly meeting with Hank, the president of the school. He and I decided to meet once a quarter to talk about my future plans and ideas. He is super helpful. So by next week I need to type out a list of ideas for my magazine and what I want it to be and show and tell. That should be a nice assignment for this weekend. I can't believe second quarter will be over in about 3 weeks. I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Church groups are going well. I'm slowly coming out of my shell and making good friends. I asked a few ladies if they wanted to take me up on my extra ticket to Cirque du Soleil and Dave Barnes concert. We'll see how that turns out haha. But I'm really blessed to be involved in an awesome church and finally meet people my age who share the same love for our Creator. I know thats cheesy, but Im just thrilled about it. I'll keep you guys updated as things continue.

Have a great week. God Bless!!

More to come

1 comment:

Burl Walker said...

I had a great laugh at the Peter Pan references. Grad school is tough! Hang in there, it is worth it!
Oh, and enjoy being single while you can. Then when you least expect it...Tinker Bell, and she is all grown up!