Sunday, February 8, 2009

Kenya, Philippines, the World!

Hey guys! Look at that. I didn't update for a whole week! I don't know how the weather is where you are, but here in Atlanta it is high 60s to low 70s. It feels awesome! But anyways...I have some exciting news.

When I started joining my church down here, Buckhead Church, I signed up for information on a few global impact teams they have. I applied for a few that happen during breaks from school. I got an e-mail the other day saying I've been accepted onto the team to Kenya! I'm so psyched! The trip is June 18-27th. It costs $3,500 though, but that shouldn't be too big an issue. I have dozens of weddings to help pay for the cost. Plus the Lord will provide. The reason I wanted to go was because I have a strong passion to impact the world around me, and not only that, document things I see with my lens. Heck yes! Here is a rundown of what we'll be doing:

"Team members will work alongside the people of a 410 Bridge community, focusing on service projects and discipleship programs that have been identified as strategic priorities by the community. These include water projects, building construction and renovation, teaching in schools, and more. You will have the opportunity to interact with local leaders, community members, and children while building relationships throughout the week. On the back end of the trip, you will enjoy a safari day at a Kenyan national park where you will see a variety of animals and enjoy the Kenyan landscape. More details will be provided as you get closer to the trip dates. This will be a life-changing week, serving and building relationships with our brothers and sisters in Kenya and sharing the love of Christ!"

Amazing right? I can't wait to get more details and get started. We have a meeting in 2 weeks at church where I'll get to meet everyone going with me on the trip. Not sure if it is a varied group of ages or what. Then, next Summer I'm going to Manila, Philippines for 10 days with my Aunt and friend Amy. We'll be going to visit my sister Rachel who is a missionary. I can't be more stoked about that trip too! Just amazing the places God takes you in this world. Even more exciting serious news...

An opportunity has come to me involving traveling the world for an organization documenting what I see with my photography and writing. When I went to Greece, Turkey and Cyprus, our guide for the journey was a really awesome Godly man. It has been at least 2 years since I've heard from him. About a week or so ago I got word from a school friend in Greece that he was looking to get in contact with me. He had seen some of my photos and wanted to see how I am. So I finally got a hold of him on the phone. When I told him who it is he like screamed in the phone and said "Evan how are you man?!" Hahaha so funny. You'd have to know him. Anyway, I told him about Atlanta and my dreams for afterwards, etc. He asked me if I wanted to see the world, and I was like uh yeah. Basically he now heads an organization based out of Nashville. They are in need of a Photographer. Only problem is finances and funding. (Something we talked long about and he is supposed to email me this week). He said he also knows people who work for International Mission Board, etc and there might be a way there. We were talking about how awesome an opportunity for me it would be to get started on my magazine now using the stories I see and hear over there wherever I go.

BUT Im comfortable here in Atlanta. So, unless the finances get sorted through another outlet, I won't be able to take this opportunity. I wouldn't be able to afford it without worry. Especially with school loan payments. But God has a way of working things out. So for right now, I'm still putting 110% into school and waiting to see what happens. But it is potentially one of the biggest opportunities of my life. If it works out, I'll have no reason to say no and get going. I'll let you know more as I do. Keep that in your prayers.

I'm entering week 6 of second quarter in grad school right now. We're just over halfway done with this session. Time has flown by. The last half is when things get busier it seems as people get cracking on final projects. I have a few to do this week. Thank God for my 4-day weekends this quarter.

I have another wedding this weekend on V-Day up in North Georgia. I am actually looking forward to it. Gotta love that money! My sister did my taxes for me and I'm getting back about $1,300. I've decided to put that money towards something I have been needing/wanting. An external monitor display for my laptop. That way it'll make editing wedding pictures and other assignments a whole lot easier on a bigger screen. Tax refund well spent haha. So all in all things are going well down here. Church is going well, school going well, the weather is awesome. I might try and jump up and click my heels if it gets any better. Thank you Lord for guiding me on this journey even when I was unwilling to walk it. I'm ready to pick up the pace. :)

More to come...

No comments: